Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Looking for Whales

Today I boarded a little 36 foot boat around 1pm with my friend Ann. As the men at the Santa Barbara sailing center warned us of high winds. We looked at each other and shrugged our shoulders with a smile. Nothing was going to stop us now. Well, perhaps gale force winds. It was calm in the harbor and it might be blowing just a wee bit out in the channel. So we motored out and put up our main with just one reef, then our jib, and we began to tone, calling the whales. After many comments about how wonderful it was to get out on the water, and what a wonderful day it was the swells started to get a bit bigger, and then a bit bigger. I took the helm and angled the bow into the waves hoping to abate the roll. Ann decided it was time for a nap, so she lay down and tried to doze. The "elusive ZZZ's." With in three minutes she sat up in the cockpit and proclaimed nausea. She took the helm in hope it would help. I began talking, trying to distract her. We were heading back trying to escape the rollers that kicked in as we got further out into the channel. As I rambled I started to say things that were not very helpful to her condition. As I reminisced about the few times I did get sea sick and the conditions that were required for me to to loose my cookies. The ingredients that I required were diesel fumes, sloppy seas, and not much wind. All of which we had in that moment, yet I was perfectly fine. Probably because I was so excited about the prospect of finding whales and recording with them. This did not happen today, the finding of whales, but I felt them in my heart. But, back to Ann. After sharing with her my ingredients she turned an odd color of yellow and white and hurled over board. She recovered as we pulled into the harbor.
When we were out on the water I could feel the whales in my heart. It fueled me to return for a longer spell and I think next time in a motor boat, a big motor boat, early in the morning before the swells. Now I have my sights set on finding a motor boat that will not charge me an arm and a leg to go out on the water and begin to record my dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment